2010 was a great year for WordPress. It introduced the much anticipated release of WordPress 3.0, along with a new default theme aptly named: Twenty Ten.
2010 was also a great year for Theme Lab, releasing lots of cool new content including free WordPress themes, tutorials, reviews, and other WordPress and coding related goodness. I’ll list some of the highlights below.
In 2010 I reviewed some pretty cool WordPress themes and plugins, here are some of my favorites:
- Builder Theme Review – In this theme review post, I went over iThemes’ Builder theme which features a layout builder feature (hence the name).
- Carrington Build Review – Another “layout building” WordPress product from CrowdFavorite.
- Quality Control Theme Review – This theme lets you turn WordPress into a ticketing system, definitely one of the more innovative themes I’ve seen in a while.
- WordPress SEO plugin review – This complete WordPress SEO plugin by Yoast is definitely my new SEO plugin of choice.
Theme Lab Downloads
Back on Theme Lab, I released some cool new design-related goodies.
- Astatic theme – I designed this Thematic child theme myself, and even posted a follow up tutorial on how I developed it.
- TL Tweets – This free tweet archive theme (which is based on my own tweet archive site) is a great way to display all of your backed up tweets.
- Cool Blue – A great looking free WordPress theme which I ported from a Styleshout template of the same name.
- SilverBlog – Another cool free WordPress theme, designed by Roshan of CSSHeaven.
- Massive Free PSD Giveaway – If WordPress isn’t your thing, I also posted a bunch of free PSDs designed by Anto.
- How To Spell WordPress – A quick write-up about the infamous “capital_P_dangit” filter, along with an intro to my WP CamelCase minisite.
- 15 Do’s and Don’ts of Effective WordPress Theming – A guest post by Mike Smith listing some WordPress theme development tips. The article gathered over 100 retweets on Twitter.
- Resurrected Themes – An idea for bringing back outdated themes as up-to-date child themes. Although it didn’t catch as much steam as I would’ve liked, I did ressurect the Braintied theme by Small Potato.
Most notably, Theme Lab turned three years old which I celebrated with a massive giveaway of many popular commercial WordPress products.
Thanks for sticking with me through another year. Let’s hope for a great 2011 for the entire WordPress community!
Looking for web hosting?
Question: What's the best type of web hosting?
Answer: The kind you don't have to worry about.
And that's precisely why I recommend HostGator. I've been using them myself for years and they've been nothing short of superb.
Fast load times, great support, WordPress-friendly, and good prices. Not much more you can ask for.
New customers can get 25% off of any HostGator web hosting package with the coupon: themelab25percentoffNote: I am a HostGator affiliate, but that doesn't make my recommendation any less genuine.